Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Heavenly Sea


“We, the Hawaiian people, who are born from the union of Papahanaumoku and Wakea, earth mother and sky father, and who have lived in these islands for over 100 generations, will always have the moral right to the lands of Hawai'i now and forever, no matter what any court says.” 
 Lilikalā K. Kame'eleihiwa

The Gods had sent us north and west, now it was time for the GPS to send us south to Lanikai which means "heavenly sea".  It is ranked as one of the world's best beaches and more importantly recommended by my Hawaiian aficionado Loryn.

“The three great elemental sounds in nature are the sound of rain, the sound of wind in a primeval wood, and the sound of outer ocean on a beach”
Henry Beston


Erupted from the earth, carved by the elements and clad by the forest flora, the mountains dictated the path of the road along the beach, then inland over a pass.  Driving through this magnificent vista of emerald ravines rising vertically from brilliant turquoise water, inspirited each passenger in our jeep.  I crouched lower to gaze upward and marvel at the natural dominance of these cravasse ravaged mountains.  

“Our memories of the ocean will linger on, long after our footprints in the sand are gone.” 
Anonymous
We drove around the tiny Lanikai coastal community and found parking along the street.  The beach was hidden by the houses and it was the fine white sand trailing out of the beach access that directed us towards our strand paradise.  It is with beach bum pride I can confess I have spent a lifetime of global pursuit of breathtaking beaches.  The picture perfect powdery fineness of Lanakai left me open mouthed and speechless.  It was difficult to determine which element gave it the ascendant spot in my list of all time favorites.  Perhaps it was the crystal clear aqua marine water?  Or was it the palm fringed backdrop of the green volcanic ridge?  However I think it was the twin islands that peaked my perfection.  Affectionally known as the "Two Mokes" they lent perspective to the grandeur of the cloud scattered azure heavens.  The bright orange outrigger anchored offshore provided the finishing detail for my Hawaiian heaven.

“Joy is the infallible sign of the presence of God.” 
Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
There was little else to do other than jump in and enjoy.  So we did for hours.  Smiling, swimming, snorkeling and sunbathing, true bliss.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile."
Paul Simon

"A daughter is a gift of love." 
Author Unknown

A happy day at the beach.  It was difficult to tell if it was the dry salt on my cheeks, or the never ending smile on my mouth that made my face ache so much as we dragged ourselves back through the alley and loaded into the Jeep. Perhaps a quick snack on the way home might revive our weariness?  The vast array of Asian delicacies on offer at all the convenience stores had me almost wanting to try.  Even though I am now part mermaid I just couldn't bring myself to eat cuttlefish, a creature with three hearts, green blood and the ability to see backwards.  They change color like a chameleon, have jet propulsion and squirt ink for defense.  In dumb blonde confession, I only knew of them as cuttlebone put in bird cages.
Fish, to taste right, must swim three times - in water, in butter, and in wine."
Polish Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment